This post was going to be easy, or so I thought, the top ten banjo songs – simple, get a pen and start writing them down. What makes them the top ten? Is it the most requested song, the most recognized, my favorite?, I don’t know. This list is a combination of two criteria : Number One – It has to be a good banjo song -Players and listeners alike have an appreciation for these songs. Number Two – How well is the song known. This list has to have songs that are familiar to most people. This top ten is a solid list of songs that are appreciated by listeners and at the same time,are fun to perform as a banjo player. Go to a bluegrass jam, you’ll hear a few from this list.
Enough criteria and justification: Here it is Banjoblogger’s Top Ten Bluegrass Banjo Songs:
- Foggy Mountain Breakdown – People love to hear this one.
- Cripple Creek – Defines the banjo sound to some people.
- Ballad of Jed Clampett - Brought bluegrass to a wider audience.
- Clinch Mountain Backstep – Ralph Stanley – Cool and fun to play.
- Wildwood Flower – Listeners favorite.
- Flint Hill Special – Players favorite.
- Blackberry Blossom – Melodic style is neat on this song.
- Lonesome Road Blues – Bill Monroe version is amazing.
- Will the Circle Be Unbroken – Good sing-a-long.
- I’ll fly away – Everyone knows this song.
There it is – My Top Ten. I’m sure there ‘s a few songs that should have been on the list and a couple that some of you would take off, but this is the best I can do. Oh, by the way, Please help support the Banjoblogger and buy me a beer – check out the left sidebar. Thanks for visiting Banjoblogger.com, Happy New Year 2008.